Resign on a Friday afternoon so you are not subject to immediate pressure to reconsider your decision.
Burn no bridges when you resign.
Thank your boss and the company for the opportunities they have given you, but let them know that for your career you have made a decision to move to another firm.
Do not tell them the name of the company when you resign. They may well use it to “sell against” the company to try and get you to stay.
If you take a counter offer it often will turn out to be the worst mistake of your life.
Avoid the mistake of accepting a Counteroffer.
Top 10 Reasons Not to Accept a Counteroffer
- After resigning, you have made your employer aware that you were looking and unhappy. Your loyalty will now be in question.
- When promotion/raise time comes around, your employer will remember who is loyal and who is not.
- When making difficult decisions about cutbacks, the company may begin with those who are deemed less loyal.
- Accepting a counteroffer is an insult to your intelligence and a blow to your personal pride, to simply be bought at the last minute.
- Where was the extra money for a counteroffer at during your last performance review? Most companies have strict wage/salary guidelines and may be simply giving you your next raise early, or buying time to hire someone in your place.
- The same circumstances that now cause you to consider making a change almost always reoccur within the next 6 – 12 months.
- Statistics show that if you accept a counteroffer, the probability of voluntarily leaving in 6 months or being let go within 1 year are extremely high.
- Once the word gets out, the relationship you now enjoy with co-workers will never be the same. You lose personal satisfaction of the peer group acceptance.
- What type of company do you work for if you have to threaten to resign before it gives you what you are worth?
- Accepting counteroffers after already accepting another position burns bridges with other companies, your recruiter and ultimately shows all 3 parties that you can be bought.
Please contact us today so we may assist you with your executive search and provide more detail and further information to you.